Thursday, February 24, 2011

Two planes, two kids under 3, Bring it on!


It is the night before I take my two boys on not one but two planes to get to Ft Meyer. David wants to be a pilot when he grows up and is ecstatic about this adventure. We have broken a paper chain link everyday for two weeks, because for the past month, he has said, “can we go now?”
We leave here at 9:45 AM and arrive at our final destination at 5:45 PM. Isaac has never flown and David and I can’t remember his last trip. On top of this, I can’t bring myself to pay the fees for checking a bag. What is wrong with me??? Why am I so crazy about money and always abusing myself in creating impossible situations to somehow manage? If my husband and friends read this, they would tell me not to do it, and then I would just be mad for having to deal with there opinions.
Where does this come from? Maybe years of packing in duffel bags, never flying, leaving hours past the scheduled time. Driving fast, taking the back roads, running for the train to just barely make or miss it. You would think I would be tired of it, but part of me is excited to have it go ok, or to complain about how I will never do it again (knowing full well that that is a lie).
Today I am sitting in Marco Island, and yesterday’s trip is but a memory. It was “easy,” I will tell my in-laws. I got to check my bag at the first gate for free. My son sat in the pilot seat in the cockpit of our first plane. Only one passenger complained about David, because he was drumming on the tray. David said adorable things like, “That plane is landing up,” and “I am going to make the plane go up,” as he lifted the arm rest up and down the entire second flight as he pushed the button to make it go faster. Only once did he say, I want the plane to stop now,” while we were in mid-air. Only once did he say he felt sick and accept my holding a bag over his mouth for several minutes. We fit three people into the bathroom and listented to Isaac scream only while inside. Honestly, if I was not the mom, I would be crying too. But seriously, there were no potty accidents and the story is already aging well. I walk away thinking, I can do anything and know that the next time, given the option, I will do it again!

2 comments:

Melissa Jenks said...

That is so funny and so cute and if you had asked me I would have insisted you check a bag! So I'm glad you got to check one for free...

Red Sonia said...

That is hilarious as you are the one person who in being money conscious I would assume would not check the bag!!! If you had said so, I probably would have paid the $30 bucks.