Monday, October 13, 2014

Guts on a Platter

Last Friday, as mystery reader at my son's school, I took in The Action Bible and upon David's choosing, read of Joshua story, where he leads the Israelites across the Red Sea towards the "Promised Land" and then about the Battle of Jericho. I introduced the story by saying there were various hero's in the book, David, who David is named after, Moses, and today we will read about Joshua. The rumblings of adults in the background during the story and then in hallways after and finally directly towards me three days after,  made my heart race. I haven't made many friends and I assume that each parent I say hi to is going to ignore me. 

My current mission in faith has been to take myself wherever I go, and to support my kids doing the same. All my life I had two lives, one at Church and another with anyone outside of that circle. I have kept my faith separate, rather then looking people in the eyes and seeing them as myself. Just this week I am trying to build relationships with people and be present there. 

Somehow it feels like a gift to be free to smile and engage. I pray that that will continue. I also step out in wonder about a few things:
1. How violent God's story is, even Jericho where they gain land at the expense of all the inhabitants of Jericho. 
2. How much I need to understand real loving. The verse that says, love is patient, kind, does not envy, does not boast, is not proud, is not rude, doesn't delight in evil but rejoices with truth, is much different when faced with someone I am at odds with.
3. How I live as a servant of Christ.
4. What makes people hate Christianity so ardently.

I went back to the New Testament, to try and figure out what makes people hate stories about God, rather then just dismissing them as irrelevant history or make-believe?  The religious leaders in his time were afraid of him and how he stole people's attention/ imagination away from them. I suppose he was judgmental of their ways as well, the thing I fear people will be of me. But, if people know who Jesus in loving and healing and desiring relationship, why don't they want to know him? And. . . why don't I want to keep holding Christ's hand when others are going to disapprove?

I am thankful that parents will still talk to me, that I have a community of extended family in Christ and non-believers in friendship all willing to look me in the eye. I am both terrified and itching to talk about why people believe and reject Jesus, so please engage!   


No comments: