Saturday, November 10, 2007

New Learning = New Minds

In thinking about self-renewal, I realized both benefits and a need for structure/discipline in order to create the habit. The structure is around motivation & energy, ability to fail, seeing things as a child, and interdependence (not co-dependence) with others. With this foundation we can be unique, free, and revolutionary in order to reject norms in favor of building a new uncharted path. Without individuals who are doing this, we lose our independence as a society, become puppets and in my view DIE. It connects with the notion of knowledge management, where we no longer need a party line, an assembly line or to quote Frost, "copy speech," but rather seek new thoughts, diverse perspectives and a vision that will carry us forward into the unknown. In Robert Frost's poem "The most of it, " he says . . .

He would cry out in life, that what it wants
Is not its own love back in copy speech,
But counter-love, original response.

To live authentically, to use our gifts and talents fully, and to be the people are meant to be, we need to strive for new knowledge, genuine responses and an openness to the possibilities waiting to be discovered if only we take the time to notice.

3 comments:

KCK said...

It is interesting that I was just thinking renewal yesterday. Maybe it was my oldest son's birthday (today), or thoughts of the new year..I'm not sure.

I have never had a problem being the maverick, changing the norm, what has been the problem is the discipline. I never realized how poorly disciplined I was. It was part of my charm (smile).

As it would appear without the discipline, my free spirit-novelty is more like a flash in the pan.

Today I took a moment to read the daily inspiration on my web page...
"Success is not to be pursued; it is to be
attracted by the person we become."
- Jim Rohn
(I always find a way to force these sayings into some type of relevance in my day).

As a work in progress.. I hope to attract new thoughts and perspectives as well the individuals ( like my classmates) that do the same. Renewal is crucial my professional and personal survival especially at this particular juncture of my life.

thanks for your thoughts reminding me to stay focused on renewal..
KCK

Sally's blog said...

Read Susan Faludi's new book The Terror Dream -Fear and Fantasy in Post 9/11 America. It's also available on CD - 12 hours running time. I would love to engage in deep discourse on this subject ~ maybe another quarter . . .

Sally's blog said...

Regarding an earlier blog on time management(sorry I didn't intend to do blogging catch up today, but was so intrigued going through your blogs I had to respond), may I suggest The Power of Full Engagement by Jim Loehr and Tony Schwarz. Like Morry's analogy to athletes on a different blog, this too looks at athletes and very nicely ties it to every day living. The theme is to manage energy, not time and keep refueling. Gelb and Covey both praise it.