Thursday, August 04, 2011

Laboring


My sister is in labor right now. Hearing her voice from the hospital room, I sense that this is a defining moment full of fear, pain and anticipation. A small and helpless little person lurking in the waters of unknowns. I want to tell her all the moments that are coming, but my advice sounds flat. I stop talking as I realize she must experience them to understand.

Classic me, I missed all the pre-labor texts and calls and when I did pick up the phone, it was because I thought she wanted to go blueberry picking. A week overdue, I somehow thought the baby might hang out in her womb forever, because our prior conversation was about the responsibilities lingering on a longish to do list.

Today is a first for everyone. Lights and screams and tearing and reaching through emotional and physical exhaustion to the hope beyond. Relying on the magic of the first hour of breath to carry life to a new space. Knowing that God has not given up on humanity.

Breathe in God's bounty little one!     

No comments: