Wednesday, January 04, 2012

A Poem


I am reading about writing and feel the overwhelm of possibilities. I could read all the books on anyone’s list, or the long list on my own. I could read poems, because Ray Bradbury says to read a poem a day. I want to write short stories, but don’t read them, so Stephen King might say, what is the point. I don’t read much poetry, but the pieces I have memorized hover over my days with new connections. Hopkins is my favorite! The words jump up with joy in the dead of winter. They are short and full of faith, which makes me feel big.

This is a two-second poem to scratch at my world. Writing motherhood and moments are what I settle with today.

Babble “Me-Me,” or “Mommy” from the top step
“No dropping,” I say as he again strikes fist forward
We look together and then I turn away

Your eyes, Izzy brown
Look bigger than Christmas
As you circle the house falling by purpose

Spots of juice dribble dry from your lips
All crying more and wipe and see and no more NOs
And I pause to feel my shoulders grip my ears

I frozen and Christ spilling open
Pulled in two yet steadied by a Voice and some nails
Witness a memory and how he endures.

3 comments:

betsy said...

love how you embrace the tension...love you sister as you grow in your motherhood and daughterhood to the one who won't let you go...

Kimberly said...

Beautiful.

Red Sonia said...

My favorite people. Thank you for reading. I wish you two could meet because you are the ones who inspire me in faith and in the daily work of finding joy!