Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Community of Women

I stayed for three nights with a friend in Chicago last week. While there, she mentioned this notion of everyone needing a place where they can be taken care of, loved, and supported. I can't help thinking that this is what community should be about.

During the days together, we were full of energy, hope, despair, while seeking after the silver linings. She questioned how we live in the moment and embody our experiences, rather then shutting down in an effort to survive the next hour or day or week. She shared the concept of living with overwhelming despair in the midst of fierce hope (from a Pastor Chuck sermon).

It was beautiful to wake up, eat cereal and drink instant coffee. She packed PB&J, grabbed a stroller and we were set to go anywhere. One of her goals is to be out and let her kids play. We did not have to be anything, but walked and sat and moved from beach to park to bus while talking about anything and everything and nothing at all. We had the nights to sit and ponder. I felt the numbness come over me the instant I arrived at my own home to find a sick family, TV blaring, dirty house with sugar ants and endless hours alone with my kids.

I have to believe there was a time when family was more connected, lived within a block, shared the work and kept life simple, cooking and cleaning to eat, but not worrying so much if others liked the flavor. I long to be with real people that I can trust, knowing we will cover each other in our weak moments and fight to defend hope when we have more to give.

Maybe I will start some women and children retreat center, where women can get away with their kids and all be unconditionally loved and taken care of (or maybe this will be Heaven?).

No comments: