Sunday, September 01, 2013

Packing a Lunch

Picture retrieved from www.fabanddeliciousfood.com%25
2F%253Fp%253D11004%3B500%3B375 on 9/1/2013
 
As an elementary schooler I remember choking down thick bites of brown dry bread with a thin layers of peanut butter between. Each bite I would turn to look behind me, praying no one would see me gag as the food came up and then I swallowed hard to force it back down. I don't recall having any liquids to help me wash the bitter taste away. I was told I needed the protein and complained saying, "My friends get white bread, can't I just have Wonderbread?" My teachers made us line up with our crumpled bags to show we were not throwing away food, so there was no way around the event of eating.

My siblings tried to spice things up on occasion by toasting the bread, adding marshmallow fluff, putting it in the bag hot (to keep the moisture in), but any chance I could get, I would still throw the sandwiches out. I still wonder how desperate I would need to be to choose those sandwiches over an empty stomach.

Now my kids tell me they don't want to eat, they are already big, or in a last ditch effort to avoid a meal, "let's just eat later." On occasion I give in to my own frustrations around food and say, "Fine, be hungry, if that is what you want." My fear is that they are hungry, but they don't want to eat what I am serving. Brown bread, PB&J's, that I tell them have protein. I went for the cold cuts over the past few weeks and that was its own torture because by day three one said, "Why do we have to eat meat again?" What new option do I have?

This week will be my first in packing lunches, committing to foods, selecting bits to put into the three tupperware containers I bought for David. I don't even think I am allowed to pack peanut products at all. My organized friends would have hummus and veggies, yogurts and maybe homemade granola bars? Things David currently dislikes. But on Tuesday, David is going to open up his containers and see what's inside and eat it (or not) without me standing by. He might want to tell me he hates grapes or salami, but I wown't be there to handle it.

My sisters would have perfect plans, healthy options and creative preparation techniques. Maybe they can tell me what to do, but then I might never learn it for myself? I wonder when the little details will become easy, magically work out, feel natural through the repetition of doing them? The truth is that I managed ok and my boys will too, with or without high protein sandwiches or hidden whole grains. I will send my notes and prayers and trust God to provide.

No comments: