Monday, March 31, 2014

Women can testify, but not declare?

I overheard two women talking about the Michigan Moody Seminary and some statement they have about how women in the pulpit are aloud to give a testimony but not preach. My brain explodes with thoughts from: what is the difference, to this is great that women can minister to men publicly, to what is the difference between ministry to college students, vs the institution of the church. This is another topic I wish Jesus had spelled out. 

My favorite class at Wheaton was with Dr. Gail Kienitz called Modern Women Writer's. We read Virginia Woolf's A Room of One's Own and as I read, I underlined every other sentence, including this one, “Possibly when the professor insisted. . . upon the inferiority of women, he was concerned not with their inferiority, but with his own superiority. . . And how can we generate this imponderable quality [of confidence in oneself]. . . ? By thinking that other people are inferior to oneself. By feeling that one has some innate superiority- over other people.” - Woolf

I could argue that women will cry and men can hold it together, because that is how I would preach, with a tissue box, but I know some women in my own church that could speak amazing truth that we would all benefit from. I once again am probably leading myself astray and if I had an audience and any importance would get a twitter from John Piper saying, "Farewell Sonia," but I think if I did not wonder and wish for more of God's words appearing boldly in my church through women of faith. 

To try to get back into John Piper's good graces (though I will confess I have never paid attention to him, beyond many people really appreciating his work), I am so impressed with the women I wish were preaching. They are strong and faithful and loving well. They are not ranting like my in a spirit of discontent, but touching my shoulder and asking me how I'm doing. I have sat under spiritual mentors who take great care of their homes and families and sit under the teaching of conservative churches on women. I respect them and so want to also have a spirit of faithful service, however that looks for me. 


No comments: