Sunday, September 30, 2007

Am I an Idiot? Finding music or anything for that matter

It is a great mystery to me how the lay person finds meaning in things that are primarily managed or appreciated by experts. I feel I am beating my head against a wall and wonder if I am capable of figuring these things out or if I should give up! A few examples that are haunting me at the moment. . .

- Searching for music to try and listen to what Michael Gelb lists as the "Great Music From the Classic Cannon." I thought it would be great to do and started searching for the pieces, the artists, etc, by typing in exactly what he provided on page 118 of How to Think Like Leonardo Davinci. Frankly, hundreds of people have created versions of "Bach:Mass in B Minor" which all sound different and are about different pieces of this selection. Which is best? How do I know I am actually getting the right piece? Is it me who is just ignorant or did Michael need to provide additional details? If these are the best, shouldn't there be an album with them? Anyone a music buff out there? It left me feeling that I should abandon this exercise though I would really like to hear the pieces.

-Searching for articles and texts within the Libraries massive search engines. I feel sometimes I am trying to make articles work for me, rather than finding exactly what I need. Additionally, I wonder if 25 articles really exist? I think I am figuring out how to get around EBSCO, but it seems to be a primary engine in the areas I use such as PsycInfo. I don't know how to start with a search engine specifically, only to reference a link when EBSCO does not have my article and then I am redirected to a different engine. I am sure it was covered several times during our 6 hours focused on searching, but I can't figure it out.

All of this makes me feel a bit lost and ineffective, but the only think I can think is that it is a challenge and maybe if I stick with it, I will achieve some sense of FLOW.

-

2 comments:

Ron Sherman said...

Hi, Sonia. First, you are not an idiot.

Next, let's talk classical music. A few years ago I was lucky to meet and have lunch with Carl Grapentine from WFMT, the only classical music station left in our area. I had called the station after hearing a song that I only knew as a Britsh Airways commercial theme. He actually answered the phone. He rally opened my ears.

Turns out it was the opening aria to the first act of Louis Delibes' opera "Lakme'" The piece is commonly known as the "Flower Duet" and is one of those pieces I now listen to when I want to close my eyes and just float. I have four versions of it. They are all different; different voices, timing, instrumentation, volume and emotion. They are all worthy efforts.

My advice is to listen to what you can find at your local library. Look for anything on the Deutsche Grammophon label. Do not let Gelb limit you. He omitted my favorite classical selection, "The Moldau" by Smetana. Too bad for him that he missed that one.

In the world of classical music it is very rare to find a recording of any kind that encompasses all of a musician/ composer's work. And, it is very rare that a recording will be devoted entirely to one composer. The orchestra always wants to show its depth, diversity and versatility. There is a collection of all of Mozart's works that is comprised of over 100 CDs with recordings by more than 200 orchestras. We have three of the CDs. That's plenty for me.

Back to your questions: there is no "right" piece of music. For any music, there will only, and always be the right moment. Listen and enjoy the experience. You may respond to the sound on a scale of "hate" to "love" but you will respond. You may hate the music, but might relish the experience of hearing it and making a choice.

In the Langer book, see pages 62-64 and re-visit (as I just did) her thoughts about exposure to rap music, classical music and professional football.

I have rambled too much and will close. Be well,

Ron

Sally's blog said...

I can remember one New Year's morning in front row seats in Vienna at the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra's annual concert . . . I was enjoying the music and the moment - noticing and appreciating, but certainly not necessarily recognizing specific pieces by name, some I did know by ear. My date (now husband)whispered to me as the orchestra started a new piece "Oh, this isn't even in the program." My mouth dropped, I said how the heck do you know that?(Actually I used a different word for heck, but out of respect for other classmates who may find it offensive, I 'll stay w/ heck) My first thought was I am a bafoon and not at all on the same page w/ this guy. It took me a moment to get grounded on who I was, not be intimidated and explore more on classical music. I let myself learn from him. I still have "feeling like an idiot" moments, but they don't carry much weight in the scheme of things. I love the music, but have awful retention - can't name the conductor, composer or piece most of the time. Can't really carry on a good conversation on the subject, but do enjoy my time alone w/ The Cleveland Orchestra. And throughout my pregnancy and Julia's first year, she too developed the appreciation of classical moments.

I am amazed at your perseverance and time you are investing in learning and growing. You're child is fortunate. (I think these things do make a difference on children. I think we give them more then genes, even if the research doesn't support that - it's my experience.)