Sunday, September 23, 2007

Blogging Anonymity

Just wanted to ponder this whole concept of blogging for a minute. As we explore this channel, I am curious about risk and reward. I sense some have a fear of exposure. Someone commented about my openness, while we have all talked about personal concerns for who is watching/reading. Who might read and what would that do for us? For me, this avenue seems safer than actually talking to a person. I can say what I want and see how others interact with it over time. Further I love the variety of entries and comments of our class, that range from personal journal, to personal reflection to open ended questions. It strikes me as a powerful way to better understand one another, challenge our thinking (class goal) and see things from perspectives other than our own (DaVinci). I am curious what you think about what blogging means for you, the risk and reward you perceive and your goals for using this as a tool to spur on your own effectiveness.

3 comments:

White Iguana said...

Sonia -- I love your candidness! And that you share so much of yourself with us. And now we get photos of your Superman!

I, too, find the blogging process therapeutic and a very safe way to communicate. It's taken me many years to be able to tell people all that I appreciate about them -- what a wonderful feeling. I've always felt much more comfortable writing my feelings than speaking them, so getting beyond the writing is a big step for me.

Re. my effectiveness, I've been much more open on my blog and it's been very helpful in my exploration. Hope yours is too!
Chris

Ron Sherman said...

Hello, Sonia. As you know I expressed some reservation about putting personal info out there. However, I am feeling much more comfortable, especially as I have come to realize this is just one more venue to use in sharing information and receiving feedback.

Using Langer's concept of mindfulness on pg. 110, I looked at blogging as something that was simply new, and not a problem to be solved. The when I used a blog to find out to "unscrew" something I did to my new stereo receiver (the post actually included a photo of what buttons to push, 3 at the same time)I was sold. So, instead oy relying on my old context of blogging as nothing but gossip email I can now begin to embrace it.

Thanks for help me open upto this.

Bill Alexander said...

I'm still on the fence, the periphery, wondering to what extent I may forever find this useful.

I recognize the value here, the shared learning and exploration, the facilitation of interaction amongst our group, a forum for perhaps more candid revelations than would be shared in person.

But then I fall back to Ron's initial thoughts...that blogs offer a lot of idle gossip, personal opinion unsupported, etc....

Then I realize that I haven't often supported my own blog entries, just offered my opinion..

I think this is good as a personal journal, an opportunity to ponder. To what extent I use this in the future, I am not sure at all...