Monday, April 22, 2013

Talking Faith - Socially Unacceptable?

On matters of a REAL King that is not themselves, people change the subject. This week I talked to two churchgoing friends and mentioned Jesus. One changed the subject and the next one said something like, "I don't want to get too spiritual or anything." I don't know if they did it out of personal embarrassment or to shut the subject down.

I have a few good Catholic friends and today one mentioned an Adoration Room, where people are scheduled 24/7 to be on hand to praise God. The space is said to have the power of God's presence. I have been going to a beautiful chapel to sit and listen for God, so I sort of understand the benefits of making a place to intentionally be with God. When the Room was mentioned however, I cringed. Did I change the subject or catch myself turning off? I sort of did. But I am strong enough to listen to him share this space and see his faith through a space like an Adoration Room. Though I have hang-ups about Catholicism as a construct, I might stop by.

I have been reading more Action Bible with David and continuing to pop my eyes wider as I read Paul getting stoned and then reviving. Looking at how people try to worship the Apostles for their healing powers, rather then Christ. How doubters from everywhere follow these Christians to try and stir up dissension. But they keep at it. I can't imagine what Peter's story would be if he suddenly decided to listen to Pharisees in the Synagogues and recant Christ. My therapist suggested that people have made is socially unacceptable to talk about our faith and suggests that it is imperative I do so.

So I want to talk with a prisoner who is asking about God. Here I can talk of my faith and actually show up as me. I am going to continue my pilgrimage through empty churches, as a way to listen for God!

To heighten this struggle on God, I am running into my third acquaintance attempting suicide within two months. My friend Melissa wrote a piece on body image and social pressures internalized that I am linking here. I recently told her how healthy I felt she was, because she could express herself. I realize that it is more complicated then awareness of the conflict, as the fight continues past the post.

As I sit at dinner hearing people claim they want to "die having sex" or "sky dive" or for me, after "running the perfect 2:59 marathon," or being heroically helpful or interesting. None of that is attainable beyond its moment and the minute I believe it matters, I am stuck! (If you ever get to read Man's Search for Meaning, he says this better then I ever could!)

So I will attempt to speak my truth and want to encourage you to do the same knowing that tomorrow, the same struggle around body or faith will be present and we must begin to address all over again.



No comments: