Monday, April 08, 2013

To be or not to be KING?


My son and I devour his Action Bible, a comic strip rendering of the story of God’s creation through the second coming of Jesus. Every chapter seems to hit on the push and pull of people trying to be God or control God and falling into ruin, only to be picked up again by God many years later.

It seems like everyone wants to be King. When the Israelites first ask for a physical King and Saul is chosen, Saul embraces the role so emphatically that he tries to kill anyone who could take the throne from him (a theme that continues with many of his predecessors).  

I want to be King of human experience, not just a dabbler in words or relationships. I wish I could write stories that changed lives and brought people hope. I end up sitting in a chair, not knowing what to write or who to be or where to focus or how to act; all becomes internal paranoia at messing up. The focus can’t be me. I must claim someone out of my understanding is the King, and only one person fits that bill.

I blindly follow Christ. When Jesus arrivers in Jerusalem and suggests he is The Messiah, people pick up stones to kill him and later arrest him based on these claims. Why so threatened? If he were a powerless fool, would people care that much? They could have ignored him, right? But the noise of those who are healed and shouting his name can't be silenced.

I see others experience God and I wish I could see him walk down the path, have him look at me in the crowd and say, "I'm coming to your house." I want to know he loves me. Be freed from my attempts to be my own Savior (and the pressure of trying to save others). To assume he will change my life right now, and even more, for him to bring hope my neighbors.

No comments: