Friday, May 23, 2014

Graduating Three's

My son is three and graduating into the 4's pre-school class. They had a slide show, got diplomas and yes, wore caps. Maybe I don't need to save for college after all. Maybe he knows everything he needs to be my side-kick forever. Isaac stays close, manages around my chaos and has endless patience for waiting.

He and his best friend sang "Let it Go," with all the passion of the original version and the words to match! They claim each other as best friends. I have to wonder what makes friends so insistent on seeing each other. Is it that they are together 5 4 to 5 times a week, their shared interests, the sense that two can exist as themselves in the same space. These boys do laps around any object or interior loop, fake laugh in the car next to each other and give great hugs. Half the time you hear one calling the other's name and when its time to leave even after several hours, there is resistance.

I wonder what it is? Could it be a child's sense of the immediate? I continue to ponder life as an adult, with regulations and boundaries and support networks. Those who seem most satisfied are about deep relationships with themselves and others. I sorta long to throw a tantrum when I have to leave my friend Karen's house  (and thus linger slightly too long) or to sit for days with a friend in Chicago, or to avoid talking on the phone, because I won't want to hang up or have to deal with the other distractions simultaneously. I think that the gift and joy for these boys is that they can just be together with no qualifications and it's beautiful. I long for it for them and for myself and will continue to order my chaos for better chances at this!

Blessed journeying!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this picture of sweet Isaac. You're never lingering "too long" at our house. We don't want you to leave either!

Red Sonia said...

You commented! Thank you. I do feel that amazing sense of freedom with you guys, that you would be ok, and that you might be up for a random trip to the zoo on a day's notice! I'm glad! I life, I always feel like I am trying to avoid imposing to much, so it's good to trust that you will tell me either way and I can stay longer once in a while. That is a gift!