Sunday, September 28, 2014

A Bigger Calling

Why is it that I can dream of when I will be able to run, push the accelerated on the treadmill and count my 11 days to the Chicago Marathon and yet struggle to find 5 minutes to write. I have to believe that the bigger goals are the ones that pull us into the greater goal, through daily work. If I don't run now, I will not run well later. I put money and time and emotion into this event and it is a powerful part of my identity and connectedness to my mind, my body and the landscape around me.

So I want a Writing Marathon. Not a NanoWrimo per-se or a new class that forces me into its deadlines, but a calling or mission that makes me jump out of bed earlier or settle for 20 minute pockets of my characters wondering if the leftovers are still good, or will make them sick, the wet toilet seat of their son's making is worth correcting for the 10th time or not. Beyond the moments, I want them to lead to questions like, is God is watching, waiting, causing evil or making a great good come about. I want to see how and why people believe and reject God and the consequences or benefits that come about because so many people seem to be doing great or horribly and the patterns are often unpredictable. Amongst believers, why does someone have to go through losing a child, while someone else gets to enjoy theirs? I guess I want the questions to come out more forcefully in my own story and conversation too.

Our pastor, Chuck Jacobs has been preaching on the book of Jonah and I can't help but consider choices and how Jonah has work to do, through his calling and relationship with God and man. Jonah had to go. No one else took his place nor did God give up on the mission to tell the people to repent. In my recent visit to a Grand Rapids Church, The Branch, which is a missional church, I was struck by how each member has important roles to play in order for the church to survive. 9 years and they need everyone to fund their work, they need everyone to participate, and view their work as that of discipling people that surround them inside and outside of their Church family. I want to matter and again wonder how I create the urgency and understand the work that is now and requires me.

No comments: