Monday, September 29, 2014

Psalm 131: Gods Words I Want to Make My Own

I am struck by Psalm 131 and the sense of silence that embodies these three verses. I wonder at the darker side of people feeling lonely and longing to fill the black hole that seems to unexpectedly knock on our souls as the nights grow longer and the cool winds blow the trees bare.

(English Standard Version)
O Lord, my heart is not lifted up;
    my eyes are not raised too high;
I do not occupy myself with things
    too great and too marvelous for me.
But I have calmed and quieted my soul,
    like a weaned child with its mother;
    like a weaned child is my soul within me.

O Israel, hope in the Lord
    from this time forth and forevermore.

(The Message)
God, I’m not trying to rule the roost,
    I don’t want to be king of the mountain.
I haven’t meddled where I have no business
    or fantasized grandiose plans.
I’ve kept my feet on the ground,
    I’ve cultivated a quiet heart.
Like a baby content in its mother’s arms,
    my soul is a baby content.

Wait, Israel, for God. Wait with hope.
    Hope now; hope always!


The pastors of The Branch Church in Grand Rapids are preaching about God's Kingdom and the Worlds Kingdom colliding (or battling) here on earth and I can't help but wonder at how we receive and grow as children of a loving father and living out of that identity, safety and provision, while also contributing fearlessly to the work he encourages us.

No comments: