Sunday, May 23, 2010

Losing Myself

I spent an entire week saying yes to everything but my own writing. It seems that once I commited to a coach and writing group and actual goals with deadlines, I felt completely stuck. I watched other people's kids, slept, read my first sci-fi novel, knit, surfed for fabrics, agreed to purchase group gifts and scheduled a billion meetings. The meetings are for book clubs, weekly artist workshops and parent support groups, but the timing and quantity of initiatives might be a bit much??? I am also contemplating taking on a regular gig with UMich's Center for Poverty, just because I am so flattered that they asked me. In addition, I said yes to leading two committees for my neighborhood, one focused on fun and one on caring for others. All that being said, I did work on collecting bits for two stories and sending them to my writing coach. PHEW!

So where am I now? Looking at several days of busy schedules, with childcare, a trip to Chicago, unfinished projects, little energy for writing and numerous house chores. My man is still in the throws of a crazy month, so I also need to both stay out of his way and I want to be available when he is free for quality hang out time. Further, we may be just 3 weeks away from a new baby.

I am scattered and distracted and tired and hopelessly addicted to avoidance! I am also afraid of open spaces that are dedicated to my own stuff.  I feel like yelling "SERENITY NOW," as Kramer did on Sinfeld. So I guess the easiest way for me to manage today is by being intentional!
- I need to just start the clock every day at 1 pm and say go, give my writing 5 minutes to write and then if I am not engaging, allow myself to stop.
- I am going to write for a few hours on Tuesday morning.
- I commit to saying no to any additional commitments.
- (difficult one) I might need to go even farther and back-out of things like parenting conversations, time with people and anything new. Makes me tense just writing it!

No comments: