Sunday, May 09, 2010

Asking as a Way of Being Seen

I have been working through a training on "Interpersonal Effectiveness," in my road to using my voice. The task of this week is to PRACTICE asking for things. I honestly feel selfish and lazy in even thinking about this, because I feel like I am not doing or helping anyone else. That being said, I am forging ahead and have a list of things I can ask for. Strangely, in doing this for the past few days, it has helped me to look people in the eye and feel more credible. I thanked someone at The Comet for an amazing Latte, discussed blue hair dyes with the cashier at Borders, and learned a lot about translation work from a worker at Dawn Trader. It was so pleasant to be engaging with them, rather than running for cover and feeling sheepish about interrupting their worlds. This leads me to believe that it is OK to show up in my neighborhood. In the practice exercises there is a lot of focus in asking or seeking help, without purchasing anything, which feels a bit trickier, but I am willing to give it a try.

Here is what I have tried so far:
1. Buying a magazine - The Believer and Running Times (I have wanted to get these for years)
2. Asking for assistance - For Restrooms at Borders and an author's name at The Dawn Trader
3. Seeking more information - In depth information on headlamps at Bivouac (they tried to sell me the more expensive items without giving me all the options, which was interesting!)
4. Little things around the house - I asked my son for tissues, and my husband to move laundry, change diapers and watch David, while I worked on my novel.

Here is the list I am going to work on this week:
1. Changing the subject while talking to someone
2. Asking for water or a bathroom from a store w/o buying anything
3. Asking someone to do anything with me (a walk, come over for coffee/lunch, etc)
4. Disagreeing with someones opinion (regarding something like faith, a book, etc.)
5. Getting my landlord to deal with our mice problem
6. Asking for help on my writing (from a group or a coach) 
7. Expressing disagreement regarding either a topic or a social arrangement

This list seems a bit scary, but my hope is to try to accomplish at least three of these this week.

Feel free to post any experiments or ideas you have regarding asking for help!

No comments: